Friday, March 14, 2008

5th March 2008 : First Night

On arrival, the delivery guy had mentioned that, for the first night, the chickens may not be too happy going up the ladder to roost overnight and might need a hand.
He had also explained, at length, how secure the "cage" is from predators.

The mesh "cage" is secured in such a way to the "house" that it is impossible for humans, let alone predators, to get into without tools and mostly dismantling the "house".
Obviously there is a doorway for them to use when they are allowed out to roam.

So I arrived home, nearly dark. They are happy enough but, even though it's almost dark, showing no sign of going "indoors" so I decide to give them a helping hand.
I opened the outer doorway and discovered it is about 18 inches wide and not much taller. Big enough for a chicken but not really designed for a, let's be honest, slightly overweight human.
My eleven year old son, good lad that he is and massive animal lover (all animals seem to like him instinctively), said he would go in and round them up. He crawled through relatively easily.
Chickens immediately made their way to the back of run (the bit under the house). My son was too big to get under the house, a little nervous of crawling under there with three vicious (?) chickens and his arms were not long enough to reach them. He tried manfully (or should that be boyfully) for a few minutes but I was getting worried that the chickens might be getting stressed so I finally got him to come out.
So now I have no choice. It's either totally dismantle the entire thing or get in there. No way I was going to dismantle it and even if I did, I'd end up with no house to put them in as it would be in parts.
So, on my knees and belly (not a pretty sight) I managed to JUST squeeze through the doorway. Had to literally drag myself into it.
Finally got all of me in and kneeling up I could just (JUST) reach them. I got hold of them one at a time and put them in the house. Some clucking and disgruntlement but no panicking or flapping about so I considered it a success.
Got the "house" door shut so they are all safe, now time to get out.
One thing (the other comes later) that I had NOT taken into account was that to slide IN, I had to lie prone and drag myself in. Unfortunately, I found it almost impossible to lie prone INSIDE the run. Using all sorts of movements that someone my age should avoid, I finally managed it and dragged myself out with my chest, belly, groin and knees on the floor and my kids shouting words of encouragement and useful things like "mind your back".
Finally out (it was a struggle) I stood up, turned around and closed the outer door. Done. Phew.

Now to the second thing I had not taken into account.
Three chickens had spent all day wandering around in the pen. As they do, they had been pooping all over the place. I had just successfully dragged myself, twice, through 3 "chicken-days" worth of poop.
I was covered. I looked (and smelled) like the swamp monster from chicken-ville.
My arms (where I'd been dragging myself), my chest down to my knees, my backside and shoes were caked in muddy poop.
My son laughed for about 20 minutes non-stop. Somehow he had managed to stay clean during his foray into the "land of the chickens".


Given the advice from the delivery guy that they may need a helping hand into the "house" for the first night "or two", I am expecting to have to do the same again. Cannot say I am looking forward to it.

No comments: