Thursday, March 20, 2008

Thursday 20th March : Two weeks in

Not much to report really. All appears to be well.

I've not yet been able to, safely, let them roam free in the garden. after a bit of discussion on various forums and some investigation, I'm going to buy the Omlet 25m netting so I can coral them in a specific area (saves me having to block my driveway etc etc). Hope it will arrive soon - then we'll see.

Had a couple of experiments during this last week as well.

Experiment One : Treats.
I'd read, before getting the chickens, that they are very partial to treats such as grapes.
I went out and bought some grapes and tried to coax one of the chickens to come to me and take one. None were remotely interested. Thinking they were nervous of ME I just dropped the grapes on the ground and left them to it. Two days later all the grapes were still there. They clearly don't want them.

Experiment Two : Night Time Routine.
Since getting them, I had always closed the Cube door each night after the chickens had settled inside for the night. Each morning, as I left for work, I would open it up again and they'd trot out.
In a while, I will be away for a night so wondered what was best to do. The members of the Omlet Forum advised that they would be fine with the door open in fact many people don't seem to ever close the door unless the weather is particularly cold.
I tried leaving the door open a few nights ago with no ill effects.
A success.
I will continue to close the door most nights just for safety's sake.

No comments: